Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Task 3


My Friends & Me At Kuching International Airport
on 12th June

When I first inform my family that I wish to change my course from Quantity Surveying into Civil Engineering, they were not supportive at first and that makes me a little disappointed but as I put myself into their shoes, I understand why they were not supportive towards my decision. This is because back in Kuching, I am a full scholarship holder in the course of Quantity Surveying and they want me to follow my sister pathway as she would be able to help me along my study as we would major in the same field.

As for my friends, they were all shock when they heard about my decision because they all know that my actual plan was to complete my diploma in Kuching then go over to United Kingdom to pursue my degree. I aspect that to happen as I did not inform them until everything was settle and done which is about one month before my departure to New Zealand.

I did organise a gathering at my place as my farewell party. My friends and I had a great time together as we did not have a gathering for quite a long time.

On the 12th of June 2007, my mother and my grandmother send me to the airport after we had breakfast together. Some of my friends went to the airport to send me and I really appreciate it as one of my friend did make something herself as a present for me. She told me not to open it until I went into the plane. As I bid good bye to my family and friends, I went into the departure area with my boyfriend who travel along with me. Our first flight was to Singapore because we have to stop over there to get our Visa done. Fortunately, we still have some free time so we were able to have a walk around Singapore and I get to try to use the MRT for the first time as we have to stay one night in Singapore. I could not buy anything extra even though Singapore was have their Mega Sales because there is a limit of luggage weight which is 20 kilograms per person.

On the next day, we took the flight from Singapore to New Zealand but we have to transit at Sydney International Airport for three hours. It was a tiring flight as it took a long time before we finally reach Christchurch. Before we touch down the airport, I was able to have a look at New Zealand's beautiful landscape which is very different from Malaysia.

When we reach Christchurch, my boyfriend's sister were here to pick us up. I still remember how cold the wind was as I step out of the airport. I did not aspect it to be so cold because I never experience winter season before.

During my first day at University of Canterbury, I had to attend the orientation at the Chemistry Building and everything seems so different from what I experienced in Kuching as all the Foundation Studies students came from many different countries but it went quite smoothly as I hope and I was able to gain more information about University of Canterbury through the speakers.


Reference: Wee, W. (Artist). (2007). My friends & me at Kuching International Airport [Photograph].

No comments: